Thursday, July 16, 2009

After the Biopsy

Okay, I go back to the Hospital for my result follow up and find out that I have a Tumor and its Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. Okay, the Doctor says "Thats a fancy word for you have a Tumor, we dont know how this particular Tumor develops but it can be removed; however there is a high recurreence rate, dont be alarmed because it can be removed".

Ok, I was happy to know that it can be removed; but I was puzzled that my Doctor told me not to get upset about everything I read about this. Im like Okay, then she says, we were hoping it wasnt breast cancer so we are relieved for you that its not. She then told me not to worry, I told her that God was too good for that.

Now,I am like tell me about this and she really could not say much other than its a rare tumor that grows in the fat, tenons and muscles of the body; it often comes back; there is a special surgery for it; because once its removed they have to make sure it doesnt come back again.

So, I am still lost because she cant tell me much; but I know Doctors dont know everything and God has all control; regardless.

So, now I know that I have a rare cancerous Tumor that is commonly referred to as DFSP; Doctors are lost about it; but there is a special surgery for it.

Now, I just pray that onceits removed, it doesnt recur;; I was told I may have to have the surgery repeated in the same day; so Im praying on that; I was also told that these things get huge; so I am thankful that I found out what it was and that the First Doctor who suggested just cutting off; had a boss who had more experience; who suggested the biopsy first. I praise God for that; because it requires a different type of surgery.

Well, I have done some research and the research is exactly what the Doctor advised me; also after the Tumor is removed...I have to go back and forth tto the Doctor every 6 months for the next 3 years to make certain it hasnt come back.

I dont know everything about this yet, neither do the Doctors but I wanted to inform my readers and friends; so you are aware and pay close attention to things we often shrug off. Another point from this is always ask for a second opinion and if your Doctor suggest something you are not comfortable with always speak up.

I thank God, that he intervene because as I thought about it; I was getting ready to tell the Doctor to do the Biopsy first; but the Attending Doctor told the Resident to go ahead with the test first. If she would have had this tumor cut off first; this would have presented another problem.

Clink on the links to find out more about DFSP.

Thanks to everybody for their prayers and comments; I am a God Fearing Christian Woman and no matter what I face I know that my God is always in control. I cant worry about what I can not change; if I could change it; there would be no reason for FAITH. I have FAITH that things will workout; the test is for the testimony.

Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) is a rare neoplasm of the dermis layer of the skin,[1] and is classified as a sarcoma. In many respects, the disease behaves as a benign tumor, but in 2-5% of cases it can metastasize, so it should be considered to have malignant potential.

Treatment is primarily surgical, with chemotherapy and radiation therapy sometimes being used.

MOHS surgery can be extremely effective. It will remove the tumor and all related pathological cells without a wide-area excision that may overlook sarcoma cells that have penetrated muscle tissue.

Checkout these links for information on DFSP

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1100203-overview

http://www.novartisoncology.us/education/diseases-conditions/oncology/dfsp.jsp

http://dermnetnz.org/lesions/dfsp.html

No comments: